Formula Concerns

Michael Jorgensen jorge1ml@cmich.edu
Mon Apr 22 10:12 MDT 2002

Hello,
    Micro managing how often each piano type is serviced, and how long
that service should take has dangerous potential to cripple us.  We
clearly don't  agree, or even come close, on this.   If that is in the
formula, administrators could start to requiring techs to adhere to
it.   Examples of my fears: "You shall fully tune each piano faculty
studio once weekly",  "You shall fully tune for every performance, jury,
audition, or other designated event", "A tuning shall take 1 hour (no
more, no less)",  "X number of services will go to this or that
classification of pianos which will take this long"     THIS WOULD BE A
NIGHTMARE and the job would never get done!
     We must retain total freedom!!   "Different strokes are for
different folks!"  Our time and resource budget must be our own!  We all
vary in skills, strengths and weaknesses, and efficiency for various
tasks.   THE RIGHT TO DO IT OUR PERSONAL WAY MUST NEVER BE INFRINGED.
     The formula must be written such that no administrator will attempt
to legislate how a tech chooses to do his or her job.  Also it should
never be used to evaluate how a tech is performing.  Most of us
instinctively already do our best with the resources and abilities we
have, both for ourselves and the schools.

A strong concern,
-Mike