Concert Load

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Thu Apr 18 08:39 MDT 2002

Not only are most of us expected to be on call 24/7, administrations also
count on that we maintain a substantial outside clientele to be able to
earn enough supplementary income to survive, and at the same time, without
interfering with university obligations (yeah...uh-huh).  I'd love to know
how many hours a week you guys have to work outside to be able to pay the
bills.

I will have to admit I am in a good situation when it comes to respecting
the clock, though.  When I took this job, I was promised that I was only
expected to be here M-F, 8-4:30, and that weekend work was only expected
for the most important of events, like our special September Concert Series
on Sundays in September, and for national and regional events the school
hosts.  What I can get done during that time is what I can get done.  I
thank the previous tech for setting those limitations during his 22 years
of service and so far, I've been able to hold them to that as well.  One
reason is that weekend work is compensated at 1.5 times comp time, so using
that time isn't very productive.  I've been in another situation before
where the clock was not respected by the administration and faculty, and
fully expect that the day will come when this administration starts
expecting the same.  Right now, I only have one recital hall to worry
about, and time in the hall is very limited, so I'm only tuning in there
between 2 and 4 times a week, and most of those are touch-ups.  But we're
considering building a mid-sized hall as well as assuming management of the
large performance venue next door where weekend work is the norm for the
tech who has that contract.  That would have the potential to change things
significantly for me.

"Oppressed" was a good word, Mike.  I usually say, "sacrifice the family's
quality of life."

(couldn't resist)
Jeff Tanner

>Conrad, Dave,
>       You guts nailed it right on regarding the plight of CAUTs.   Is there
>anything the CAUT Committee could do to help?   Do we really have to be
>oppressed to get the jobs done superbly?    Is change hopeless?
>-Mike Jorgensen

Jeff Tanner
Piano Technician
School of Music