fog "juice" effects?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed Apr 10 15:56 MDT 2002

>As I watched the fog billow over the Baldwin SF10 on stage today, I wondered
>what effect this would have on the piano......(fog machine in catwalk,
>capable of filling theater)

Ron,
I haven't heard anything about adverse affects on pianos. The last time I
was on stage tuning and someone fired one of these suckers up, I was more
concerned with my lungs. So far, I've lived about three years past
exposure, so the poison must be extremely slow acting. These machines burn
a mixture of propylene glycol, triethylene glycol, and water. The stuff is
obviously water soluble, but I don't know if the residue is hygroscopic. It
seems like we would be hearing complaints of rusty strings by now, since
you can't put on a show anymore without lasers and/or fog.

Ron N