Baldwin SD-10 with a lot of strings breakage in the treble

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Wed Apr 10 08:51 MDT 2002

Jean-Marc,

Others have already agreed to what is probably causing this. Just another
thought. It's also very common for strings to break at that point if they
have very hard use. Since I've been at the university here, it's rare
that I have a string break anywhere except there. Especially practice
room grands.

Extremely hard hammers can also cause premature breakage, especially in
heavy-use instruments, so in addition to the filing mentioned, also
do some voicing if they are very bright in that area.

Avery

>Dear group,
>
>I am the piano tech at the Université de Montréal. The faculty has 125
>pianos and one of them a Baldwin SD-10 which is 27 years old is a very
>sensitive piano for string breakage in the treble (from string gage 15 and
>up, around G6). This piano is in a small recital room. Almost every two
>weeks or so I have to replace one or two strings. This piano was rebuilt in
>1991 by a very good rebuilder. I know this piano since 1995. The action is
>in good regulation and have Abel hammers (which need to be reshaped or
>replaced). I would like to have some feedback on this problem. I checked the
>capo system which is characteristic to Baldwin (hard greyish metal attached
>to the capo with allen screws), especially the place where the strings pass
>under and the surface seem smooth and round (because all the strings break
>under the capo exactly in this round aera).
>
>Iwould like to know if any of you have encounter this problem and if you
>found a cure (solution) for this illness.
>
>Thanking you in advance for your replies,
>
>Jean-Marc Beauchamp, RPT
>piano tech, Université de Montréal

Avery Todd
Moores School of Music