tapping strings

Sun Apr 7 11:09 MDT 2002

Hi David

I kind of hedge myself with downbearing measurements. I do two things. First
I measure the height of the bridge in various spots both before and after
tension is let down. Secondly I take string deflection measurements with
tension off the panel. The way I do the second is perhaps what you are
asking for.

I run a taught cloth string from the tuning pin under the front termination
and across the bridge and position the back height such that it just touches
the bridge but is not deflected by it. Then I measure the distance to the
string rest. Then I bring the string just down to where it touches the back
edge of the bridge and measure again the distance to the string rest. Both
measurements are taken on the normal (90 degrees) from the string rest. This
gives enough to calculate  both the front bearing angle and rear angle.

There are other ways of going about all this...plenty of articles written in
past journals and I suppose a good deal of stuff in the archives here.

Is this what you were asking about then ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.