tapping strings

Sat Apr 6 16:57 MST 2002

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >Well, lets see here now... if the string grooves are caused in the fashion you
> >propose, to the degree you propose, rendering string seating absolutely
> >useless in
> >every situation.... then shaving the cap to just completely remove the
> >grooves will
> >change the angle.... because string grooves as you describe them are
> >exclusively
> >cut at a steeper angle then the strings natural angle. If not then seating
> >becomes
> >a valid procedure as there is necessarily positive bearing at the notch.
>
> And I said "exclusively" when?

You did not use the word.... it just follows from your descriptions.... you've gone
to some extent to show that such is the nature of string indentations. It all adds
up to the indentation being greater the strings natural angle or you have no point
in the first place.... thats fair enough.

> Why do people tap strings in the first place
> if not in an attempt to cure false beats?

I seat strings (as I and many others have repeatedly said) NOT to cure false
beats.... but to strengthen the string / bridge coupling when it is needed, and to
relieve other kinds of string falsness. String seating can be thus helpfull when
the string finds itself just up the bridge pin... despite positive bearing. An
observed fact of life.

> And what causes false beats? And
> if there are no false beats evident to attract string tappers, might it be
> that the condition hasn't progresses far enough to be a problem. Go back in
> the archives and read this stuff again.

No thanks... I think I am familiar enough with whats in the archives on this
matter.

> I have gone all through this in
> great detail already. Or wait for the Journal article.

Journal articles are always fun. Looking forward to it.

> >Just out of curiosity... where did you pick out a figure of 0.015 inch
> >(0.38mm)....
> >seems wholly unrealistic given the context of the discussion.
>
> Thin air, relating to absolutely nothing.

Grin

> Ron N

Well, its been fun... but I am off to bed.  See you in the morning no doubt. :)
--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.