bearing, loose bridge pins leading to Wapin considerations

Tim Coates tcoates@dtgnet.com
Sat Apr 6 12:11 MST 2002

Hi Ron,

Your statement,  "the string on a vertical pin will be less likely to be
seated on the bridge as
the bridge shrinks" isn't clear concerning a Wapin bridge.  You haven't
indicated whether your model has the standard Wapin configuration.

It is not just the front pin that is involved with a standard Wapin Bridge.
The front pin terminates and the trapping pin traps.  The back pin also
traps.  On a conventional bridge the front pin terminates and traps and the
back pin traps.  If your front pin model doesn't have a middle trapping pin it
is an incorrect standard Wapin Bridge configuration.   As far as I know, it
has been the experience of all involved with Wapin that the strings stay
seated to the bridge better with the Wapin configuration.  I don't know about
the relationship between front bridge string grooves and the Wapin Bridge.  I
haven't  looked into that area.  It is food for thought.

As some have been stating in this thread, seating the middle of the bridge is
a desirable thing.  The trapping pin helps the string stay seated to the
middle of the bridge, that seems to be holding true.

 I would like to see your data for a standard Wapin Bridge, not just a
perpendicular front pin.  There is a difference.

As we have some true scientists studying the Wapin Bridge, I myself am not
totally up to speed all the data we at Wapin have.  Michael Wathen is
presently uploading some of Bob Coleman's (NASABob) data onto our website.  I
don't know if the pages are public yet, but should be shortly.  I will be
presenting some of the information at the Central West Regional Seminar.

I agree, I don't think Wapin can compensate for negative downbearing.   That's
asking a bit much <g>.

Tim Coates
Wapin Co., LLP