tapping strings

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri Apr 5 12:39 MST 2002

>You wrote just a few days ago.. and I quote
>
>" Nope. The string doesn't climb off of the bridge top, and the pin doesn't
>climb
>out of it's hole"
>
>Similar formulations are easy enough to find... tho with a closer reading of
>each
>post I have found so far I see its easy enough to interpret these in the light
>you now underline.... you'll excuse and understand I hope that I have up
to now
>assumed you meant the pins were not pushed up the pin at all. Now that that is
>out of the way......grin...

I just don't understand where interpretation comes into it. The string
doesn't climb off of the bridge top, and the pin doesn't climb out of it's
hole. Again, I can't include an entire encyclopedia in each post, much less
in each sentence. I try to stay in context, and I assume anyone reading and
asking questions has read the rest of the posts.

>????.... This is a point I am going to have to think through.... I keep
>visualizing the center of the bridge as being the real high point of the
>strings
>ideal arc if you will. In that view then what I have describe must hold
>true. And
>in this sense I have often wondered why bridges are not "crowned" as it
were to
>meet that arc in a more natural fashion. That would seem to me to equalize
to a
>large degree the upward pressure on the string..... but ok.....

They are not crowned because that would weaken the coupling between bridge
and string at the termination point. The higher the percentage of the
bearing load that goes on the termination point, the better. It's not that
mysterious.

>grin... You have given me something to ponder on this time.. :)

It's the same stuff you and I went through last time. Ponder on.

>That would have to depend again on whether the notch/ bridge pin location is
>lower then the line drawn between the new highpoint and the agraffe... if the
>string has simply "drawn" a flatter line across the bridge then the string
will
>still terminate at the bridge pin....tho perhaps a little less
>efficiently.... I
>am beginning to follow you a bit longer down this road tho...

That's precisely what this has always been about, and what I've tried to
describe in every way I know how.

>> and if the pin is even a little bit loose, false beats will
>> result.
>
>Here we have always been in agreement.

And this crushed notch edge is the reason the string has the horizontal
freedom of movement at the bridge pin to flagpole the pin and produce the
beat.

>Ok.. I feel a lot more comfortable with all this now. So when do we start
>dealing
>with why the condition of << positive bearing at the bridge pin simultaneous
>with
>the string being off the cap at this point >> sometimes pops up ?

I've been dealing with it from day one. It doesn't happen, that I'm aware
of. Strings with positive downbearing do not ride up on bridge pins and
float above caps. What do you think I've been talking about all this time?

>Many thanks for clearing this up for me... you've had me really scratching my
>head on this one for quite some time.
>
>Cheers !
>
>RicB

I wonder if you still aren't.