tapping strings

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Thu Apr 4 23:12 MST 2002

I'll try for a little more coherence tonight-

First,  thanks Ron N for helping me locate those previous postings. It's
going to take a while to sift through them, but I've seen enough to
understand your sense of deja vu.  Interestingly enough (or not) the date
was almost exactly one year ago.  The thread actually seemed to start with
this:

>From: ANRPiano@AOL.COM
>Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 08:14:36 EST
>Subject: Bridge caps

Second, a question for all you rebuilders out there.  When stringing a new
board/bridge assembly, do you preload the board before bringing up the
string tension?  If not, then it would seem to me that until the board has
conformed to its anticipated shape under load, the down pressure of the
strings, as they are being pulled up will be mostly on that front edge of
the bridge. Would that help to explain the severity of the indentation,
even in the absence of excessive playing, tuning or climate swings?

The next question might be, at what point the notch in the bridge pin
forms, and which, or what combination of mechanical actions is
responsible.  Is it the initial application of string tension (with the
sliding motion of the string being pulled up to tension)? The static stress
over time? The tuning process? The motion of the string when played?  I
could see the notch causing enough friction to inhibit the downward return
of the string to its seated position, especially if the other restorative
forces like downbearing and string offset were less than those numbers Ron
used in his example. Which brings us to this:

Ron N qualified his remarks by defining his conceptual model as having the
theoretically ideal downbearing configuration, positive on both front and
back, but not too much.  Sorry mate, I haven't seen one of these creatures
in much too long a time.  So let's try a different model:

Let's suppose I have front bearing of  (-).006" with positive net .004"
(rear bearing + .010") as measured with Lowell gauge.  (From the point of
view of assessing termination characteristics, these numbers are deceptive,
but that's for a different posting).
The tendency for the string to ride up the pin will be resisted by the
pin's cant, but we can assume that, at some point in time, that string will
come up.  Let's say I get a little tell-tale twang.  My options are to tap
string for temporary (?) improvement or to allow string to remain at the
equilibrium point it has arrived at, thereby maintaining greater tuning
stability.  As far as where you tap, I suspect its a bit like the
accelerated action dichotomy, in that you could tap the string somewhere on
the bridge, using greater force, or right at the pin, using less force.  As
with most other aspects of piano work, with proper care, I don't believe
tapping NEED be injurious.

David Skolnik