tapping strings

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu Apr 4 17:29 MST 2002

>P.S. Just so I'm clear Ron, your take is that the expansion of the bridge
>causes the string to ride up the pin and then stays there when the bridge
>shrinks back down? My question is why doesn't the pin ride up and down
with the
>bridge? Is it the fact that it is anchored deeper in the wood and the
expansion
>happens to a larger degree on the woods' surface?

Nope, my take is that the string doesn't ever stay up the bridge pin to the
point that it isn't touching the bridge top -- ever, unless the net bearing
is so negative that it's trying to pull the bridge off of the soundboard.
Bridge expansion pushes the string up, and the string follows the bridge
top back down when it recedes. The pin stays in the bridge simply because
it is tightest in the bottom of the hole, where it's under nearly no stress
at all.

Ron N