I ask again, was Re: tapping strings

Thu Apr 4 11:50 MST 2002

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >  I still have not read the answer to my basic question: how often should
> > strings be tapped, or seated, on the bridge?
> >
> > Wim
>
> Once, when the piano is strung, and then only to make the bends around the
> various bearing points lay straight. Probably never again after that.
>
> During tuning, when you find a beater, press on it at the bridge pin with a
> fingernail. If that doesn't cure it, tapping won't either, and you haven't done
> damage verifying it. False beats are almost always loose bridge pins, and
> seating strings doesn't cure loose bridge pins.
>
> Ron N

Here I find myself very much in aggreement. A finger press at the bridge pin itself
yeilds about the same result that a "slight tap" at the center of the bridge gives.
Do whatever suits you best, and if it doesnt help then increasing pressure will
likely not help either.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.