tapping strings

Thu Apr 4 07:57 MST 2002

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >But, wait! You just said you didn't think it was physically possible for a
> >string to ride up on a bridge pin if there's positive downbearing! So, if'n
> >there's positive bearing, why would the string want to straighten back out?
> >
> >I think that, if there's not very much side bearing -- if the offset between
> >front and back pins isn't very steep -- it's possible for the wire to climb
> >the pin at least to a certain point and *stay* there if the instrument is
> >played for extended periods. I've noticed this happening on freshly restrung
> >(and brand-new) pianos as well as not-so-recently restrung ones. A very
> >gentle tap will make the string pop out of the groove that's formed at the
> >zenith of its travels.
> >
> >We're talking about tapping strings and crushing the front edge of the
> >bridge -- isn't this happening, to some degree anyhow, when the piano's
> >played? I think it's akin to trying to keep a piano in tune or a child
> >seated for extended periods of time. It's just a fact of life that it ain't
> >gonna happen. And neither will strings remain seated on the bridge. They get
> >too excited and need to be re-settled.
>
> I've gone over this a bunch of times on Pianotech. Check the archives under
> "string seating" and such. Meanwhile, here's a clip from the most recent
> round...

You may have gone over it... but you have not explained or answered the point that
Ron T makes in anything close to satisfactorilly. This is one of the big problems
with the explaination you put forward here.... It doesnt, and hasnt at any time
yet dealt with this issue. Nor has it dealt with the condition of positive bearing
at front where the strings HAVE gotten themselves up the bridge pin a bit.

Dont get me wrong Ron... I think you are on to something with all this.... its
just that there are a couple gapping holes in the reasoning that need to be
accounted for. Think On !!

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.