Hamburg Damper Felts [sidebar re: Yamaha]

Alan Crane alan.crane@wichita.edu
Tue Apr 2 00:10 MST 2002

and Wim Blees writes:

>Beofre Renner started selling directly to the "public", didn't Steinway
>have a similar policy about selling Renner hammers for non Hamburg S&S?
>
>Wim

... And, speaking of "selling directly to the public," evidently Yamaha is
doing just that.
I called up to order a set of butt flanges and was quoted a charge for
sales tax.
I told them I don't pay sales tax and they replied that, if I would give
them my tax number, they would drop the sales tax.
That prompted me to inquire whether my customers (or Joe Public) could call
Yamaha and order piano parts themselves.  The answer was, "yes... if they
have a valid instrument serial number."

Perhaps this has always been the case, but its news to me.

Regards,

Alan B. Crane, RPT
School of Music
Wichita State University