Hamburg Damper Felts [sidebar re: Yamaha]

David Denison a440@optonline.net
Mon Apr 1 19:56 MST 2002

> Does Yamaha believe it maintains the right to refuse to sell parts to
> someone who will not or can not produce a Yamaha piano serial number?

Apparently.

>What  if I just used a "stock" serial number from our inventory? Would they
soon
> catch on that the same piano has had its dampers replaced a dozen times in
> the last two years? Do you suppose that they'd quibble about the minor
> detail that you don't usually put Yamaha grand hammers in an upright?

When I called because I needed rubber pedal rod grommets, I was caught off
guard.  I didn't have a serial number for a specific piano.  I just needed
to have some on hand for some pianos I remembered needed them.  Promise not
to tell, but one was a Young Chang using the same type of grommet! I just
pulled a Yahmaha out my database and no one blinked an eye.  I don't know if
they'd catch on if you used the same number over and over.  Heck, you almost
have 6,000,000 numbers to choose from!

> I understand the bit about gray market pianos, but aren't they creating a
> whole lot of paperwork for themselves?

It does seem a bit overkill to me.

David Denison, RPT
Long Island, NY