Temp Strips

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sat Jul 28 08:59 MDT 2001

Re: Temp Strips
Hi David,
My process is similar to yours. But I use two mutes and no temp strip.  =
On uprights one large fat one for the bass and a split rubber with =
spring steel handel for the tenor on up. To get into the area at the top =
of the dampers, the split muteis placed on a belt sander to make a =
smaller tip on the split mute.
On grands its the large single mute for all except the high treble. I =
know that this may be a little slower than strip muting the entire =
piano, but  getting the two outside wires to agree with each other=20
lets me get better unisons that stay where they are put.=20
"Any two strings slightly out of tune will sound out of tune, but three =
strings slightly out of tune will sound as one" Kimball Stout's theory =
of three.
However my last check is to listen to the unison as a whole with all =
three strings sounding.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Ilvedson=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, July 27, 2001 2:32 PM
  Subject: Re: Temp Strips

  I use two mutes and do tune the middle string first except at struts.  =
Right string mute moves up to next unison's right string.  Tune right =
string to middle.  Left string mute moves up to next unison's left =
string.  Tune left string to middle.  When in the treble on uprights =
with space problems with the dampers I do use one mute with left string =
first.

  David I.