changes in the modern piano

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Wed Jan 17 12:18 MST 2001

I assume she means his piano music. Otherwise a common assumption is composers
used the keyboard as a tool when composing non piano music.  The most important
aspect of this "composer's tool" is the keyboard layout which hasn't changed
since 13xx.   I think it would be a difficult hypothesis to prove that changes
in piano from 1820 did affect any of his compositons. (Was he known for piano
works?, or could he NOT compose without a piano?) Unless there are quotes from
Strauss himself, the research might  involve too much secondary information.
Otherwise whole books have been written on the evolution of the piano from 1820.
    For what is "in the library" consult PALS, the bibliography in Groves under
"Piano", the Hipkins article in Encyclopedia Britannica 1911 and the editions
before.   The modern book by Pollens is highly regarded. There is probably a lot
in German for Vienese pianos of that period. There are research opportunities
especially for dissertations at Shrine to Music on the University of South
Dakota campus.  http://www.usd.edu/smm/research.html .  The conservator Jphn
Koster probably will respond to an email query.
or      http://www.usd.edu/library/pals/pals.htm
This takes you to USD library which includes all the catalogued materials in
SMM. ---ric

----- Original Message -----
From: Rick Florence <Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 12:20 PM
Subject: changes in the modern piano

List,

I had a Doctoral Student come into the shop today with a question I couldn't
fully answer.

She is writing a dissertation on Strauss and wanted to know how the piano
has changed during and since the period 1820 - 1900 and how it may have
affected his writing style.

Rick Florence
Piano Technician
Arizona State University, School of Music