changes in the modern piano

Joel Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 17 11:59 MST 2001

on 1/17/01 12:20 PM, Rick Florence at Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu wrote:

> List,
>
> I had a Doctoral Student come into the shop today with a question I couldn't
> fully answer.
>
> She is writing a dissertation on Strauss and wanted to know how the piano
> has changed during and since the period 1820 - 1900 and how it may have
> affected his writing style.  I believe that he spent most of his time in
> Vienna or other parts of Europe.  What were the significant differences
> between the European piano manufacturers and the Americans during those
> years?  I wonder if he was sponsored by a particular piano manufacturer?
>
> Any brilliant comments and/or suggestions for reading?
>

> Rick Florence
> Piano Technician
> Arizona State University, School of Music

Rick,
 Without asking her permission my suggestion is to call Margaret Hood, a
fellow member of our chapter,  who lives in Platteville.
     Margaret Hood <Hoodmarg@excite.com> builds, repairs fortepianos and
harpsichords.   I consider her the foremost expert in this field,
particularly in our area, as well as nationally.  She can also recommend
books, recordings etc.
Joel

-- Joel A. Jones
Senior Piano Technician