changes in the modern piano

Rick Florence Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu
Wed Jan 17 11:21 MST 2001

List,

I had a Doctoral Student come into the shop today with a question I couldn't
fully answer.

She is writing a dissertation on Strauss and wanted to know how the piano
has changed during and since the period 1820 - 1900 and how it may have
affected his writing style.  I believe that he spent most of his time in
Vienna or other parts of Europe.  What were the significant differences
between the European piano manufacturers and the Americans during those
years?  I wonder if he was sponsored by a particular piano manufacturer?

Any brilliant comments and/or suggestions for reading?

Rick Florence
Piano Technician
Arizona State University, School of Music