NONREFUNDABLE DEPOSITS?

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue Jan 16 21:38 MST 2001

At 10:48 PM 01/16/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I need some perspective. In the retail piano business, how common is the
>practice of  extracting non-refundable deposits from customers?  Many
>replies, either yea or nay, would be most illuminating.
>Thanks.
>
>David Skolnik

How desperate are you for money ?

Besides, you do not extract a deposit, you impose, require or specify one;
request is more customer friendly.

Did the 'hold' of a particular unit result in a 'loss' of a sale on the same?

Here in Massachusetts there is a customer protection law which enables the
consumer to negate a sale within three days of contract. "Buyer Protection"
"Buyer's Remorse Insurance".  "Ted Kennedy Keeps His 'Chair-warmer' in
Washington"
(sorry, couldn't help that one.  Funny, you never meet anyone who will
admit to voting for the guy).

It is a matter of ethics,  whose opinion do you need?

When you sell a piano do you have to play 'hard ball' or will a 'soft-sell'
move the product.

I don't have to 'motivate' my customers.

Not much help, eh ?

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net