Baldwin regulation

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 5 09:32 MST 2001

Hi Dave,
              I'm not sure about sudden changes, but I have noticed a problem
with the way the front glide bolts have been set. I have seen them set far too
high.
A procedure that works for a stable key bed.
1. Back off the balance rail guides to be clear of the bed.
2. Adjust the FR glides from the centre working out ward. Using a 6" machinist
rule (.020" approx)
to check for frame to bed clearance.  Make sure that there is clearance at the
rear of the front rail, if there is none the sharps my 'clack'.
3. Check the rear rail bedding. rarely a problem.
4. Adjust the balance rail glides.  I use a Jaras key leveller, and adjust the
BR glides to the point that the plunger just starts to move, then back off a
hair.
5. Knock test all bedding points and fine tune any adjustments.
 Finally check the tightness of the FR glides in the keybed. I have
encountered
a few that were too loose. They would want to turn just with playing. If
loose.
take them out completely, size the threaded hole with thin CA glue. let dry
and
reinstall.  These bolts need to be fairly tight, to prevent movement from
heavy
playing.
Unfortunately, you now have to level and dip the keybed.
Loosely fitting bolts will be you most likely cause. Winter dryness has likely
made the problem show it's ugly head.
I would like to know what you find, and will forward any imformation and try
for changes.
Regards Roger