Concert

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri Apr 27 09:38 MDT 2001

Mary,
	I perform regularly as a soloist and sometimes as a chamber musician.
At least once a year, usually two or three times or more. I try to get
paid - rent the hall and charge admission, or get a paying gig (we're
lucky here in Albuquerque to have a venue that supports local
performers, and gives them most of the gate). I specialize in Latin
American piano music - especially Villa Lobos and Ginastera, but lots of
obscure composers as well - and often skirt the edges of "popular." My
last concert, a month ago, I presented "American Rags, Brazilian Tangos,
and Afrocuban Dances." Scott Joplin and Joseph Lamb for rags, several of
Ernesto Nazareth's "Tangos Brasileiros," and Ernesto Lecuona's set
called "Afrocuban Dances." Next year I plan to do an all-Villa Lobos
concert: the Cirandas, Ciclo Brasileiro, and Alma Brasileira. I'm
planning to do recording sessions this summer of last month's recital
pieces, and create a cd to sell and otherwise distribute. Take advantage
of a recital hall with lots of summer down time, and a recording
engineer who has down time in the summer as well. Perks of the job - you
have to take advantage of everything available to make it pay ;-)
	Talk about wearing a lot of hats: adding producer and publicist to
performer (and, damn it all, tuner - I hate tuning for my own concerts)
really stretches one thin. But, hey, you only live once.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico