need ideas

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Mon Apr 9 17:42 MDT 2001

A month ago Cheryl informed me she was bored with the arrangement of
furniture in our living room. Sadly I informed here the only place for her
beloved Kawai NS-25 was beneath the "piano" window. Famous last words.

At lunch today, I got up from the sofa (now located beneath the piano
window) and checked the bass/tenor octaves. The lower notes are still a good
15 cents flatter then the upper, precisely where they ended up upon
relocation of the piano.

I wasn't sure what to do about this (aside from actually re-tuning that is),
then I read Newton's reply, and now I have 10 great suggestions to take
home! :>)

Seriously though, I've put the "UST" question to Don Mannino.

As for trouble shooting the "racking" problem, Bill Spurlock describes a
little test (in his ad for a lid prop) where you lift up on the left corner
of the cabinet while holding a bass/tenor octave. You will hear the beats
change.

You may want to access several models this way, before moving any around. An
uneven floor will always be uneven, on which a four-legged (wheeled?) object
will always wobble. However, a vertical piano with a good rigid case may not
be as prone to conform to the dips and valleys.

And of course, this is all just a semi-educated guess!

Mark