Steinway parts vs. Renner argument

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri Sep 22 04:50 MDT 2000

At 07:01 PM 09/21/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>After five years of successfully rebuilding S&S actions with  Renner
>action parts and Renner and Abel hammers, the new departmental dictum is
>"nothing but Steinway parts in the Steinways".
>
>I've been informed that a Steinway action part is subcontracted out to the
>lowest bidder (which may even be Renner).  If this is true it debunks the
>idea that what comes from Steinway is made by Steinway.
>
>Does anyone know of any printed articles that defend the use of Renner
>action parts over Steinway that may help sway such an opinion?
>
>Many thanks!
>
>Lorlin Barber
>--
>Barbers Piano Service, Inc.
>Phone No. 515-274-5940
>Website: <http://www.barberspiano.com>http://www.barberspiano.com

PR beyond the sales point. New S$S bushings are treated with Emeralon and
have a tendency to seize up.

If you ordered underlevers, you get Renner; they don't make them in NY.

My experience with a comparison of parts will find Renner, Japanese, NY to
be the rank in quality.

However, for rebuilding; I use new plate screws from S&S. The nickel lag
bolts look better
and are cost effective at $5 each.

If I remember correctly the Faust website boasts of using Renner parts for
their work and their
reputation is not lacking for it.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician