inharmonicity of hex-core wire

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Wed Sep 20 07:56 MDT 2000

Newton-
I've heard it said (never read) that the inharmonicity of hexagonal wire is
greater than that of round wire "due to the added stiffness of the corners",
and have wondered if hex-core wound strings could be used to smooth the jump
in inharmonicity between wound and plain wire strings when re-scaling small
pianos. (I've seen Knight pianos with hex-core bass strings, but don't know
why they did it.)
If I understand you right, I'm going full speed up a dead end street. Yes?
Ed