turbo-guru speaks

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Mon Sep 18 12:31 MDT 2000

Lloyd Meyer has kindly referred me to Chris Robinson,RPT for further info on
working with the turbo wippens.  Here FYI are some highlights of the
conversation:

"CHRISTOPER ROBINSON," on working with the Renner turbo-wippen;

"pre-adjust support springs (prior to installation) to balance off the
weight of the wippen."

"leave one lead less than you expect to end up with in each key, (consider
traditional leading patterns), ie:
remove all but two leads in C4 knowing you will likely need a third to
trim."

"Remove lead starting from the balance rail, forward."

"Calibrate the springs (wippens installed) using approximately 5 grams more
than spec, per section, ie:
at C4 the DW ideal may be 49 grams, calibrate the assist spring using 54
grams (DW).

"Calibrate the spring at the coil, increasing or decreasing the distance
between the long arm and short tang as necessary."

"Make a long slender tool with a slotted end.  For general weakening, use
this tool to push the long arm of the spring back into the slot, then
release and test.  Further weakening (and/or strengthening) will require
un-hooking the loop, and a second (spring-lifting, etc.) tool to engage the
short tang."

"Trim the final 5 grams using the "spare" lead from each key.  This is much
simpler than attempting to "fine-tune" the spring."

"(Re)-position your trim lead atop the key until final DW is achieved.  Mark
the key for lead placement.  There should be several(lots of) empty holes to
choose from!"

 Many thanks to Lloyd Meyer and Renner USA for providing us access to
experts such as Chris Robinson!

Mark Cramer, RPT
Brandon University