Yamaha problem

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Wed Sep 13 07:37 MDT 2000

Adjustment screw that spaces the action frame away from the plate (in lieu
of the two middle action brackets) tight?  This bolt helps keep the action
fram from flexing.

Mark Cramer, RPT
Brandon University

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Avery
Todd
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2000 7:42 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Yamaha problem

List,

   I have one of our U1D's (1972) in the shop right
now and have a problem I haven't, as yet, been able
to figure out. So, thought I might get some help
here. :-)
   The problem is that the damper lift with the pedal
is like a hanger is broken on the rod, i.e. the dampers
from the lower middle of the bass up to the lower tenor
area hardly lift at all. The remaining ones lift fairly
well, even though not quite evenly. The bichords hardly
even move. What throws me, is that with the action out
of the piano and lifting the pedal rod by hand, they all
lift pretty evenly!
   I did notice that the bass end is not seated real well.
There is a very slight movement and a slight noise when I
"wiggle" the bottom of the bracket with my hand. It seems
to be minimal though and I will be adjusting it. But it
doesn't seem like that would be enough to cause the
problem.
   What am I missing? Is there something flexing somewhere
that could be causing this? This is one of those actions
with only 2 action brackets, bass and treble.
   I really DON'T want to do a damper wire bending job and
then discover the problem later and have to redo it!! :-)
   Any ideas? Thanks.

Avery