Turbo-whipping!

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Mon Sep 11 11:37 MDT 2000

At 11:09 AM 09/11/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Anyone have a favourite method to calibrate wippen assist springs, ie: make
>nice, tidy, intuitive bends?
>
>Mark Cramer
>Brandon University

Before you install them, weaken the spring at the coil so it just supports
the wippen
Minute alterations can be made once installed.

I also remove the dog-leg from the butterfly spring and rough-in tension. I
ground an old pair
of Iineman pliers to a mating curve creating wire bending pliers. This
removed the dog-leg and
makes a nice curve. Otherwise when you weaken the spring, the contact point
is on the backside
of the teflon nut; this places it on the frontside - further away from the
coil.

I plan on getting a force gauge to measure a regulated set of rep levers
and flanges to ascertain
their graduated tensions across the keyboard so the process can be speeded
up prior to installation.

I also modify the spring and install a #3 fillister head machine screw to
made them more easily adjustable.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.