budgets

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon Sep 11 10:06 MDT 2000

I'd be very careful to keep copious records of sale of any university
property, regardless of whether or not it is listed on inventory.
Actually, I'd avoid getting into that at all without an okay from my
supervisor, in writing. It's state taxpayer's property, and the laws are
not very forgiving in this area.
	Our department charges an applied music fee (anyone taking private
lessons) and a recently added technology fee (surcharge on all music
courses). These are the sources of much of the discretionary money
available in the department, and some gets applied to piano related
items. Most of my parts budget comes from "extra tunings" done for
recording sessions, rental of the performance hall, and work for other
departments in the university.
	Good luck. I had zero budget to start with, and it just takes
persistent lobbying to develop an improved situation.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico