"D" for dampers

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Thu Sep 7 05:14 MDT 2000

on 9/6/00 2:58 PM, Mark Cramer at cramer@BrandonU.CA wrote:

> It's time to fit our recital "D" with new damper felt.
>
> Can anyone save me some time by recommending the right complement (sizes;
> narrow bi-chord/wide bi-chord, thickness of flats, etc.) of felt strips?
>
> Will use Renner (USA) most likely, however,  has anyone used the Yamaha felt
> on a "D"?
>
> thanks,
>
> Mark Cramer
> Brandon University

I'll second Ed's opinion about Steinway factory sets of damper felt. I have
had uniformly good results. For good appearance you do need to lay out the
felts and install them in the same orientation as when they were cut. In
other words, if the felt blocks are slightly off perpendicular, just make
sure all the felts are installed to "lean" the same way. They only look bad,
IMO, when they are installed with some randomly leaning one way and some
leaning the other.

Kent Swafford