Off campus work

Paul E. Dempsey dempsey@MARSHALL.EDU
Wed Sep 6 13:10 MDT 2000

Hello Paul, et al,

I have nearly a carbon copy of your situation here at Marshall. My
position has been and continues to be that I  was hired by the State
of West Virginia to  take care of pianos owned by the state located on
the campus of Marshall University.

If a University instrument is taken to another venue for use by  a
Department of Music  event, then I provide the needed service there.

If, however, the instrument is owned by another venue or
institution(church,school, whatever), then they are free to hire
whomever they choose to perform the service .(it's usually me and I
bill that venue or institution accordingly)

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University

> Hi all,
> We currently have a dilemma regarding off campus recitals.  Here's
the
> scenario.  We have a few off campus sites that the faculty like to
use for
> recitals.  The pianos are owned by the church or institution hosting
the
> recital and for the most part were my private customers before the
> recitals started to become an issue.
>
> This appears to be a really grey area as far as compensation for the
> tunings.  I'm wondering if any of you have a specific policy
regarding
> this type of situation.  I am not a contract technician but work for
the
> college and I feel that I am caught between a rock and a hard place.
>
> Regards,
> Paul
>
> Paul Kupelian, RPT
> Tyler Hall