Extinguishing circumstances

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Mon Oct 23 23:30 MDT 2000

Allan,

Having dealt with the problem a number of times, if the MSDs do not show
the use of corrosive (to piano parts) materials, the biggest problem is the
way the nasty granules get into everything.  In several cases, it was
possible to clean things up well enough with a strong air blast (using my
OSHA-safe nozzle, of course...).  However, in a couple of others, the grit
was sufficiently fine to get into the center pin bushings.  In one case,
the insurance was insufficient to cover much, and we did a "make-play" -
not a recommended procedure.  In another, we were able to simply replace
the parts on the stack, and clean up the tray.  Either way, this turns out
to be not very pretty.

Hmmm - not too sure about "vast amount of knowledge", but I sure like the
"esteemed peers" part.  Anyway, I would certainly be interested in how this
works out.  For my part, if he has questions to post here, please feel
free, or contact me off list.

Best.

Horace