HT Experience

Robert Moffatt moffattr@cadvision.com
Sat Oct 21 13:47 MDT 2000

Horace,

My apologies. I am in the habit of airing my views on the screen, then =
trashing
it. My mistake.

Rant well taken,

Bob

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Horace Greeley=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2000 1:27 PM
  Subject: Re: HT Experience

  Bob,

  Several years ago, I was one of the very first people to be blasted by =
Mr. Bremmer on pianotech.  It was an ugly, unfortunate series of =
incidents which I do not choose to repeat.  He is, in fact, the major =
reason that I (and several others) no longer actively participate on =
pianotech.  Mail from or to him, referencing him in a subject line, =
etc., is automatically filtered to the trash by my email program.  So =
far, CAUT has been a haven from his brand of exploitive, demeaning =
vilification.  Since this list is not filtered as to membership, it has =
always been a question of time before he posts here, as well, and that =
will probably drive me away from this venue, too.

  So far, in the interval since that nasty period, my mode has been to =
reply privately to individuals who raise issues about which I feel that =
I may have something constructive to offer.  Other than that, I remain a =
silent observer on pianotech.  I know that other, above average =
technicians have chosen the same path. =20

  I think that what I am asking here is that, however you need to =
respond to the Bill Bremmers of the world, please do not so raise their =
consciousness of this list that we wind up with the same issues here.  =
That his presence on the other list actively limits the input and =
freedom of exchange which makes this method of communication so =
essential and crucial to the profession is self-evident.  There are =
simply too few sources of real knowledge available to us.  None of us =
have any hope of having all the answers.  Every time _anyone_ (including =
those annoying apprentice-level types who somehow manage to ask the very =
questions that the rest of us really should be asking) drops out, we all =
suffer.  The most that we can hope to do is to be of sufficient service =
to each other so that the profession does not go the way of the dodo =
altogether. =20

  While I respect Andy's philosophical commitment to open lists, Bill =
(and a very small number of others) through his consistent refusal to =
behave within reasonable bounds of common courtesy, push that commitment =
well past its reasonably foreseeable limits.  That being the case, the =
options left available to the rest of us are appallingly limited.

  End of rant.

  Horace