HT Experience

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Sat Oct 21 13:28 MDT 2000

Bob,

Several years ago, I was one of the very first people to be blasted by Mr.
Bremmer on pianotech.  It was an ugly, unfortunate series of incidents
which I do not choose to repeat.  He is, in fact, the major reason that I
(and several others) no longer actively participate on pianotech.  Mail
from or to him, referencing him in a subject line, etc., is automatically
filtered to the trash by my email program.  So far, CAUT has been a haven
from his brand of exploitive, demeaning vilification.  Since this list is
not filtered as to membership, it has always been a question of time before
he posts here, as well, and that will probably drive me away from this
venue, too.

So far, in the interval since that nasty period, my mode has been to reply
privately to individuals who raise issues about which I feel that I may
have something constructive to offer.  Other than that, I remain a silent
observer on pianotech.  I know that other, above average technicians have
chosen the same path.

I think that what I am asking here is that, however you need to respond to
the Bill Bremmers of the world, please do not so raise their consciousness
of this list that we wind up with the same issues here.  That his presence
on the other list actively limits the input and freedom of exchange which
makes this method of communication so essential and crucial to the
profession is self-evident.  There are simply too few sources of real
knowledge available to us.  None of us have any hope of having all the
answers.  Every time _anyone_ (including those annoying apprentice-level
types who somehow manage to ask the very questions that the rest of us
really should be asking) drops out, we all suffer.  The most that we can
hope to do is to be of sufficient service to each other so that the
profession does not go the way of the dodo altogether.

While I respect Andy's philosophical commitment to open lists, Bill (and a
very small number of others) through his consistent refusal to behave
within reasonable bounds of common courtesy, push that commitment well past
its reasonably foreseeable limits.  That being the case, the options left
available to the rest of us are appallingly limited.

End of rant.

Horace

At 12:54 PM 10/21/2000 -0600, you wrote:

> [...]

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP, RPT
Systems Analyst/Engineer
Controller's Office, Stanford University
651 Serra St., RM 100
Stanford, CA 94305

Voice:  650.725.9062
Fax:     650.725.8014