Emergency Repairs

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Sat Oct 14 08:24 MDT 2000

List,

   It's too late now to get info I "might" need today
but I thought I'd go ahead and ask for future reference.
   We have a concerto competition going on today with
the last half of it being 14 pianists (!) playing.
   My question is if a hammer shank should break (or
some other wood part), what would be the fastest setting
glue to use to get them back into operation? I can have
a spare shank/flange and tools I'd need ready to go. Bear
in mind this would be a quick situation, so there wouldn't
be time to heat up my glue pot. Although, I guess I "could"
have it already on and ready, just in case. :-)
   Would Titebond set up fast enough? A combination of that
& CA glue? Any other suggestions?
   One other question. There has recently been a discussion
on attending concerts we tune for. I'm sure a lot of you
also have concerto competitions so I'm curious what your
policy is about being available in case of emergencies for
something like that.
   This one started at 9 AM with wind & percussionists and
the pianists start at 12:30 and go to 6 PM. Needless to say,
I don't want to hang around all day "just in case", so I've
given the orchestra director & the head of the piano
department my cell phone number in case anything happens.
   Any other comments about something like this? Just curious.
Thanks.

Avery

mailto:atodd@uh.edu - Work           "I haven't failed. I've
                                      found 10,000 ways that
mailto:avery@ev1.net - Home           won't work."

Avery Todd, RPT                           -Benjamin Franklin-
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4201
713-743-3226