Question

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 4 08:29 MDT 2000

Dear List,

It is interesting to see the range of responses this thread has
inspired.  Being a recipient of a copy of Horace's excellent letter
to the reviewer, I am looking forward to his sharing his letter with
the list.  Tempted as I am to share some details, I will content
myself to say that Horace discusses in some detail his perception of
the present day loss of the skills of fine action set up, regulation,
and voicing--skills which he learned from past masters.  Horace
apparently deduces from the wording of the reviewer that the piano
was not properly prepared.

This may very well be true; however, I posted Horace an account of my
experience preparing a piano for Kissin a year ago.  Kissin's
management had reserved every available moment in the hall during the
day preceding and day of the recital, and he, with the guidance of
his teacher, worked tirelessly and relentlessly during the entire 12
hours at an intense concert level with a heavy Russian program--right
up to curtain time.  Despite my gentle attempts to gain access to the
piano for touch up, Kissin, while remaining courteous, dismissed me
with the assurance that everything was okay.  Clearly, it meant more
to Kissin and his teacher to have the rehearsal time, than for me to
have time to refine the tuning and voicing.

The local reviewer commented that the instrument's sound became harsh
at times during the many big climaxes.  For my part, I was elated
that the piano stood in tune and sounded as good as it did despite
the heavy use and deficient prep time.  Furthermore, unlike the
Davies Hall piano in Horace's speculations, I flatter myself that
this instrument was properly set up, was regulated properly, and that
the hammers had the appropriate shape and resiliency.

Horace, in his letter, also shares his insights into Kissin's
technique and the acoustics of Davies Hall.  There are also a host of
other factors that go into a performance--factors which those of us
who are frequently backstage observe from a perspective denied to the
public and the critic.  I recently read an account of a late Caruso
performance, written by his late son, in which he recalled his
anguish at the unkindness of the public and critics toward
shortcomings in his father's delivery and stage presence, knowing
that they had no idea of the pain, both mental and physical, with
which his father performed in his last days, and the professionalism
and sense of responsibility that lead him to go on stage even though
he was really, unbeknownst to him, probably in the latter stages of
lung cancer.

So what conclusions may we reach from all this?  Basically that,
quite properly, "everyone is a critic", but that the conclusions we
reach and the judgments that we make really often say more about us
than about the actual situation, about which we rarely have
sufficient information to make fully informed judgments.  Was the
performance truly flawed?  Is Davies Hall really acoustically
deficient?  Was the instrument really inexpertly prepared?  Is
Kissin's technique really flawed?  Did he misjudge the limits of the
instrument?  Certainly there are objective criteria upon which one
can base such judgments; however, criticism is most incisive and
persuasive when tempered with humility and compassion.

I believe that Horace's letter could stimulate an excellent
discussion about concert preparation techniques of today, contrasted
with those of the halcyon days of yore.

Charles

Charles Ball, RPT
School of Music