Sizing Guide Rail Bushings

David M. Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Thu Jun 22 08:35 MDT 2000

Avery:

I think it was Ken Sloan who posted a suggestion quite a while ago.  I've been doing it since with great success.  After bushing the guide rail I put some nails in the rail bushings (I should know what number finishing nails they are, but I'm a lousy carpenter.  They measure 0.101").  I get the bushings pretty wet with Protek and let them sit overnight.  The Protek both sizes and lubricates them.  Typical Steinway Damper wires are about 0.075".  This leaves them free but not loose.

dave

On 6/22/00 at 9:08 AM Avery Todd wrote:

>List,
>
>Any opinions on the best way to size these new
>bushings?
>
>I've heard of using a heated damper wire;
>
>An alcohol/water treatment with bridge pins of the
>appropriate size (same as damper wire? slightly
>larger?).
>
>Any other methods?
>
>How do you tell for sure they're correct "before"
>you reinstall the guide rail?
>
>What about lubrication? Protek?
>
>Rather elementary questions, I know but I just
>wanted to get some opinions from others who've
>probably done this a lot more than I have.
>
>Thanks.
>Avery

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net