SAMA Information?

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Sat Dec 30 15:01 MST 2000

Hello, Guy!

Sorry, I sort of fell into Christmas and am just digging out a bit.

At 02:59 PM 12/24/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>         At last weeks inspections there was a bridge cap replacement that
> we gave
>the craftsman a real hard time about. His notching was perfectly down the
>center of each pin except one, where about two-thirds of the pin (#7) was
>to one side of the notch. Teased him mercilessly.
>         As far as soundboards go, we can do any repair, including one
> recent major
>termite problem. Replacement is still new to us, in practice, if not in
>theory. As an example, we've got a fellow that has personally fit, bored,
>and installed over three hundred blocks, in all styles. I think he's ready
>for whatever we send at him. (He's also young and training others.)

This is good news.

>How's that old phrase go?...." 'Impossible' takes a little longer?" The
>answer is simple. I don't know. (prices) I can check for you. I've got an
>idea of some of the rates for custom stuff, but bridge and soundboard work
>does vary a bit, depending on what's required, no? Give me an example and
>I'll get a quote. (Semper Gumby)

I don't have anything cooking at the moment, but would appreciate knowing
if they ever come up with a generalized, ball-park kind of list.  Perhaps
by the foot?  Yes, it is difficult to do reasonable estimating this way,
for sure.  I wonder if, since they seem to be targeting an institutionally
based market anyway, if some kinds of general ranges/whatever might be of
value to them.

One school for which I worked for years had six or so 30's vintage Kimball
6' grands.  Nothing to write home about, but the kind of thing that a
school with little to no real budget could justify putting some bucks
into...certainly as compared to the junk they have had donated to replace
the Kimballs.

As to prep time and related issues, I think that, in going with any company
like SAMA (and, I am sure we can all think of similar kinds of firms in the
U.S.), one is going to get a very different product than if one sends an
instrument to a custom rebuilder.  Most of the former, and many piano
manufacturers themselves, are going to send out a product which needs
anywhere from one day to a week or so to turn it into even a marginally
viable musical instrument.  Being aware of what one is contracting for, and
then following through with the contractor, is part of the responsibility
that one takes on.  Getting a $3000 - $4000 rebuild may make perfect sense
for one place and be a disaster for another.

My own remedy, such as it is, is to contract out the stuff for which I am
no longer set up (and, frankly, simply cannot compete against).  This
includes much major board work, often block, and virtually all refinishing
(living in the Bay Area of CA has real EPA consequences).  This leaves me
free to spend my personal energy on things for which I am better set up and
trained, and with which I have the most experience - actions.  Even there,
I often contract out key work.

So, taking the example of the Kimballs mentioned above, I would probably
send out refinishing and all the belly work (stringing, board, block,
damper replacement); and do the action myself, sending the keys to someone
like Yvonne Ashmore for repairs, rebushing, etc..  (Besides, if there are
going to be problems with matching new action parts to the old Thayer-style
action from those Kimballs, I want them to be my problems, no someone else's.)

OK, time to go start making Chex Mix for New Years!

Regards and best wishes to all for a most prosperous and Happy New Year.

Horace