locking grand covers

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Tue Dec 12 14:42 MST 2000

Conrad, et al,

I'll most gladly second John on this.  Most of the covers I've been
involved with in at least 15 years have been from Covers by Jill.  They
will custom make just about any combination of things you want, and have
patterns for everything they have already done.  Definitely not as cheap as
some; but, then, they are not as cheap as some.

Also, in order to curb hinge injuries, get a set of moving rails from
S&S.  They will save you oceans of grief in replacing ruined hinges, screws
and lids.

On a somewhat related note, I have a client whose D (1923, or so) was
redone with custom leg cutting and installation of large Hamburg-style
brass castors.  The toe leg has become cracked (Like Fred said - train the
crew!), and the house management wants to go back to the C&A style
Darnells.  Obviously, this means new legs/etc.  Is there anyone out there
who might be interested in some kind of low-money trade?  I have not
checked the pricing recently, but these castors used to go for around $300
- $350/each used.  When Peter Mohr did the belly and case work a couple of
years ago, he did a great job of setting these legs up.  It is sort of a
pity to have them being cast aside.

Cheers!

Horace