locking grand covers

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue Dec 12 13:02 MST 2000

We tried that for a few months. Locks got misplaced, buckles were
dinging the finish. Removed straps and buckles and gave up that plan.
	It all depends on people - who's in charge, who's working, what kind of
communication there is. The tech manager of a multipurpose hall (local
symphony through Broadway road shows and everything bewtween) just today
asked me about what could be attached to the edges of a newly refinished
(and immediately dinged) Steinway D to prevent damage. I told him to
train his staff. (And had told him earlier that refinishing was a waste
of money - but the higher ups insisted).
	Don't guess all this really helps much, but bottom line is that if you
want to maintain security and prevent abuse and damage, the real answer
is in how the hall is run, not what gadgets you have. (Reading this
over, it sounds like a flame. Not my intention at all).
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico