CAUT Guidlines

Ray T. Bentley Ray@Bentley.net
Thu Apr 13 08:37 MDT 2000

Bill, Don, and list,

Thanks for your replies.  When I made my earlier post, I didn't have a clear
understanding as to the purpose of the guidelines.  After reading more
posts, I think I'm beginning to understand what they are.  I thought they
had something to do with qualifications or prerequisites for participation
in CAUT list.

I attended the forum last summer in KC, and felt that most of the people in
the room must be working full time for colleges.  I have been doing contract
work for Lewis and Clark Community College in Godfrey, IL for a little over
two years now.  This year I am in the midst of major action work on six
grands.  One was a complete action rebuild (on a Steinway D), and the others
are various things involving regulations, hammer and keytop replacements.  I
thought I could probably get some good ideas from attending the session and
signing up for the list.  When I began to see posts concerning guidelines, I
began to wonder what their purpose is.  Hence, the previous questions.  This
college has about 30 pianos of which we have seven grands--four Baldwins and
three Steinways (D, O & B).  I sense that this is a very small situation
compared to most of the rest of you, but it keeps me very busy along with my
other work as a general piano tuner-technician.

Thanks to all who provide useful information via your posts to this list!

Ray T. Bentley, RPT (for 20 years now!)
Alton, IL