CAUT Guidelines

Ken Eschete k-eschete@nwu.edu
Tue Apr 4 16:22 MDT 2000

To All:

Faced with the situation of having too many pianos and not enough technical
staff, there are two options:
1)  The technicians can try to do the best they can to keep all the pianos
going.  Like tuning an equal temperment, they shave a little maintenance
time off of each piano and hope that nothing really sticks out.
  2.) The other option is like tuning a Pythagorian temperment, where no
maintenance time is shaved off of the more important pianos, and the
effects of not having a large enough staff are concentrated into a section
of the inventory (the Wolf). Some of the pianos are really, really good,
and some are really, really, really bad, making it quite clear why a larger
staff is needed.

Demonstrate what IS NOT getting done due to a lack of staff so that
everyone can HEAR the difference.  Figure out how much NOT doing
maintenance work is costing the University.  (Example -- an old Steinway B
in good playing condition is worth say $20,000.00.  Once it is allowed to
fall into un-playable condition, it is only worth $7,000.00.  Not doing the
work will cost the University $13,000.00 in equity.  Doing the work with
in-house staff will cost them about $5,000.00 but that  will still raise
the net equity value of the piano by $8,000.00.  Then we can talk about
replacing that Steinway, but don't get me started.....

The Steinway and CAUT Guidelines are useful tools; but in the end, I think
it's the money that talks.  This is how I'm going to try it.  I'll let you
all know if it works for me.

Ken Eschete
Northwestern University
Evanston, Il

To All- Rolf is on the right track. It was with the persistence of an

--
Kenneth P. Eschete
Northwestern University