teflon bushings

Tue Dec 21 12:13 MST 1999

Del, Bill, et al,

At 07:44 AM 12/21/99 -0800, you wrote:

> [...]

I fully concur.  In fairness, however, this method was first introduced by
Freddie Drasche in the early years (read: "dark ages") of servicing teflon.
At that time, even if the appropriate tools were available/in use at the
factory, they were not available to outside technicians.  Since these
parts (and their associated actions) were perfect in every way when they
left the factory (and, therefore, never required servicing), it was not
deemed necessary to provide instructions for their service.  Freddie,
of course, realized the magnitude of the problem, and came up with the
centerpin method - which he presented and demonstrated all over.  (Well,
I suppose that the method may not have been original to Freddie, but,
it was, pretty darned amazing disaster control, all things considered.)

It has always seemed to me that teflon never really got a proper start.
The original (smaller, and unribbed) bushings were too small to be stable.
The later ones, while of better design, still suffered from poor machining
of the maple parts, a bad rap from the earlier ones, and simply appalling
technical support from the factory.

In spite of all of the above, however, there really is no reason that these
parts cannot be reliable and provide very long service - perhaps, if well
maintained, long than their felt-bushed relatives.  First, while one should
get the factory technical bulletin (can't remember the number), Del's
post is the best method I have seen written out.  He mentions (and, I believe
Joel does as well) paying careful attention to the fit of the bushing in
the appropriate part.  I do not remember if Del posted to this list or to
pianotech - if pianotech, his method should be in the archives - if on
this list, I am not sure, and I do not remember if this list has a
searchable archive or digested form.  The parallel reamers are a very small
amount of money as compared with the speed and accuracy of the job they
allow one to do.  Just as indispensable as the combination reamer/burnisher
sets available for servicing felt-bushed parts.

Best to all,

Horace