Teflon

Thomas D. Seay, III tseay@austin.rr.com
Mon Dec 20 12:11 MST 1999

>The problem with teflon is that most of us hardly see it anymore.  I haven't
>had enough work with it to get and keep my skills with it.  Have a couple
>sets in boxes to practice on if I really wanted too, though....
>
>Bill Shull
>University of Redlands, La Sierra University

Hi Bill,

Unfortunately, we technicians at the University of Texas see more
than our share of teflon actions on a daily basis. Almost all of our
newer Steinway grands had teflon actions when they were purchased in
1978-79. Although the teflon has been removed from many of our
pianos, the wippens and back actions in many of our practice room
Steinways still contain teflon, which requires regular servicing.

In one sense, I feel that rebushing teflon is faster than rebushing
wool because you don't have to wait until the glue dries before
reaming and pinning. Furthermore, you don't always have to go up a
half-size in pins if you over-ream. You can simply replace the teflon
bushing and ream to fit, unless of course the pin is loose in the
part.

In general, I don't find teflon all that hard to service. If you have
the proper tools and equipment and have become skilled in their use,
it really isn't too difficult a procedure to master. However, as you
correctly pointed out, lots of practice is the answer.

Kindest regards,

Tom Seay
The University of Texas at Austin
mailto:t.seay@mail.utexas.edu