Teflon bushings

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Mon Dec 20 11:23 MST 1999

John:

Del Fandrich had an extraordinary post on teflon bushing service a while back
which was on the Pianotech list sometime in 1999 (its on my computer at home
- I'm at the shop right now...).   He was surprisingly supportive of the
teflon bushing concept, and had a procedure which he felt resulted in
longevity which rivaled the best cloth bushings (he was even critical of
Renner's use of graphite in the cloth).

I have also used the file-rolled pins, but many years ago bought the
multi-cut reamers.  The problem is their cost - someone has to pay for them,
and it doesn't seem worth it if the number of teflon actions out there is
rapidly diminishing.  But the
rolled file centerpin technique does not accomplish what is essential with
teflon bushing service, which is to achieve a "machined" or evenly cut
bushing surface for the mated pin.  Johnson Carbide supplied the reamers for
Steinway, but some of the reamers out there have been single-fluted;  you
have to be careful to get a multi-fluted reamer, because the single fluted
reamer will not cut the bushing evenly.  The Pianotek reamers have 4 flutes.
 The complete set - RM-S8 - or a set of the smaller sizes graduated  .0005"
would be best, I think, along with a good collection of new bushings.

The problem with teflon is that most of us hardly see it anymore.  I haven't
had enough work with it to get and keep my skills with it.  Have a couple
sets in boxes to practice on if I really wanted too, though....

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University

a message dated 12/19/99 1:35:07 PM Pacific Standard Time, chapmajd@wfu.edu