new Steinway hammers (was Flexible collodion...)

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun Dec 12 09:40 MST 1999

Hi Ed,

Yes, weather does change all hammers some.  The "weather resistance"
may well have been a justification for using hardener.

since Newton is sitting on BUSHELS of experience!(:)}})

That must be why I am such a pain in the butt.

Hardening is done in the factory so they get "tone" right now.  By the
time the piano is purchased the tone is not the same.  It would be
interesting to weigh a hammer before hardening and then again after.
Extra mass increases the volume of sound (translates as power).  All
those who do refinishing with lacquer know that it takes weeks for the
lacquer to harden enough to take the pressure of moving the piano
without damaging the surface of the finish.

In the same way the stiffer the lacquer makes the felt the "stiffer"
the tone will be.

I am convinced (thanks to Del) that hardening hammers is to compensate
for poor sb design or installation.

		Newton