Horace Help

Thu Sep 17 10:23 MDT 1998

Jim -

Greetings!

At 01:02 AM 9/17/1998 -0400, you wrote:
>Horace, I've been trying for years to get my points across as succinctly as
>Vince Mrykalo. He's my model, but it's not going to happen! So, as one
>rambler to another, I submit that verbose replies are the lesser evil to
>file attachments. Considering multiple platforms, and the fact that all of
>us have just so much time to devote to our beloved lists (and don't like
>calling up outside routines just to read a message), these should be used
>as a last resort. So, before going there, you might try simply "tightening
>up" some other things.

Hmmmm - Vince, how do yo feel about being a role model?  The fact
of the matter is that I positively hate and will not use the "See Jane run"
kind of non-mentality that the Chicago Manual of Style seems to feel is so
bloody damned important.

On the other hand, I _suppose_ that I _might_ be able to write tighter
prose.  Maybe.

>For instance, your margins [example 1] are narrower than other posts on the
>list. Most users have word-wrap toggled on, so you should not have to worry
>about that on your end. There's also a lot of air, redundancy, and fluff
>[Example 2] at the end of your messages (17 lines is longer than many
>entire messages, 'cept for mine). This is NOT a flame -- just trying to help!

I had gotten into the habit of using shorter lines when folks complained
about
line-wrap issues, but am happy to change again, as I prefer to just let the
program do it's thing.

As to air - frankly, I haven't looked at that signature file in months.
Thanks!
[air]
I really enjoy reading your posts!  Keep it up.
[air]
Hope all is well with you and yours.

Horace

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP, RPT