High(!) touchweight

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Wed Sep 16 08:22 MDT 1998

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Horace Greeley wrote:

> Could we have a little more information, please?
>
> What parts?  Original?

The piano in question has a Pratt-Read keyboard, NY shanks/flanges, NY
wippens (both Permafree II). Hammers are older type -- with the gray
matter in the shoulders and deep purple underfelt, top to bottom. (For the
sake of identifying, the wippens have the teflon pin holding the
repetition spring in place, and there's green Emralon on the reps.)

This is one of those "accelerated" actions -- white keys #1-17 have 6
leads, #18-54 have 5 leads, #56-63 have 4 leads, #64-76 have 3 leads,
#78-88 have 1-2 leads. Black keys, #2-38 have 5 leads, #41/41/46 have 4
leads, #48-72 have 3 leads, #74-up have 1-2 leads. There are a few
anomolies in there, but this is the trend.  A very heavy keyboard!

Piano was restrung in 1994, original block. Underlevers are original NY
(not that they had anything to do with the touchweight...).

Original NY backchecks, too.

Knuckles don't look like the big fat ones. I doubt they're the problem.

Someone mentioned that the balance rail may be mislocated.  Is there a
"standard" location for a balance rail, or does that depend on the length
of the keys?

Capstans appear to be centered on the wippen heel cushion.

Did I miss anything?

Ron Torrella, RPT
Piano Technician
University of Michigan