Privacy in the workplace

Wed Sep 16 08:15 MDT 1998

Michael, et al,

Dave Porritt wrote-

>This sounds very heavy handed at best.  Most places issue strong warnings
>about giving your passwords out to anyone.  I think the advice to give her
>the info, then change it is a pottibility.  At the very least I'd give it
>with the indication that is is given under strong protest.

Dave's right, of course, but the Dept Head is just trying to excercise her
control over all personnel and equipment in the department.

If Mike, like I, gets the .edu e-mail account gratis as a "perk" of the job,
then it _does_ own the account and can excercise control over it's use.

Lack-o-tact would describe said stupidvisor.  Perhaps she could have gently
reminded her underlings that the e-mail account was, in fact, college
property, and as such was subject to possible/occasional/frequent/constant
review by someone in a supervisory capacity.

That would possibly lessen it's use for non-college traffic. DARN! No more
surfing...

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer         Office - (319) 387-1204
Luther College            Music Dept Fax - (319) 387-1076
700 College Drive         hoffsoco@luther.edu
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

       Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) of
   Digitally Activated Biopowered Tone Generation Systems
"If you have to plug it in, or you can't watch how it works,
                I don't work on it."