hammers: what kind of felt?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 1 15:29 MDT 1998

Hi Ron,
        Amazing how geography maks a big difference, I note you are located
on the Great Lakes, high humidity conditions for 7 to 9 months I presume.
Here on the praries we have some what different and much drier conditions,
so the we juice much less frequently.
  I prefer using Abel hammers in this area, several reasons, first is
consistency, second they seem to be the softer of the hot pressed hammers.
I hav'ent used a set of Issac's in years, so any comment that I would make
would not be valid.
  The two hardeners that I use are 5:1 laquer, or crushed chalk and acetone
mixture for lighter type toning, ironing with a warm voicing iron seems to
set and stabalise the treatment. Key top solution I reserve for treating
bass or lower tenor hammers, very liberal application below the 9 o'clock
point towards the hammer shank, in place of the grey reinforcing of
yesterday. the more that I use this approach, the more convinced I become
that we frequently work too high up on the hammer before seting a solid
foundation.  If you create a very solid bass to the hammer, there is more
leeway to play with the elasticity
of the shoulders.

Regards roger

>My approach to juicing has evolved over the years.  I rarely put anything
>more than keytop solution (1.5 keytops:8 oz.) in the tops of bass hammers.
>I put 4:1 lacquer solution in the shoulders routinely, though, especially
>on NY Steinway hammers (the newest ones, anyhow). That solution only goes
>up to about 10:00 front and back. Nothing stronger than 5:1 between
>10-11:00, front and back.
>
>Are you speaking specifically about Isaac hammer treatment?
>
>Ron Torrella, RPT
>Piano Technician
>University of Michigan
>School of Music