hammers: what kind of felt?

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Tue Sep 1 12:58 MDT 1998

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Roger Jolly wrote:

> Hi Ron,
>        A quick question and maybe the it will stimulate some thought. How
> often have you hardened hammers down pass the killer octave vs just
> hardening the top 2 doz or so notes? In fact I have a hard time remembering
> when I last juiced the bass on a piano. But I have fequently voiced down a
> bass section, done little or nothing in the centre, and juiced the treble.
> Just a thought. Roger

My approach to juicing has evolved over the years.  I rarely put anything
more than keytop solution (1.5 keytops:8 oz.) in the tops of bass hammers.
I put 4:1 lacquer solution in the shoulders routinely, though, especially
on NY Steinway hammers (the newest ones, anyhow). That solution only goes
up to about 10:00 front and back. Nothing stronger than 5:1 between
10-11:00, front and back.

Are you speaking specifically about Isaac hammer treatment?

Ron Torrella, RPT
Piano Technician
University of Michigan
School of Music